Jewelry Care Guide
You love your beautiful bling – learn how to take care of it with this handy guide to ring maintenance.
- Take It Off.
Believe it or not, caring for your ring occasionally means taking it off, especially during the following activities: Sports, Gardening, Cleaning house, Dishes, Washing.
If you'll be taking your ring off to do the activities above, make sure you have a safe -- and memorable -- place to put it.
- Keep It Free From Lotion, Sunscreen And Perfume.
- Have Your Setting Checked Regularly.
- DON'T SWIM IN THE OCEAN WHILE WEARING YOUR RING!
- Be Careful In The Kitchen. Cookie dough, turkey loaf, a piecrust…
- Don't Wear Jewelry In Swimming Pools and Spas.
- Remove Your Jewelry Before Bathing - Remove all jewelry before showering or cleaning.
- Keep It Clean.
Most jewelers will clean your ring free of charge, so take advantage of this courtesy. If you don't have time to get to the jewelry store, there are a few ways to clean your ring at home.
Louilyjewelry suggests using a gentle dish detergent to clean lotion buildup from the bottom of the mounting. Simply scrub the top and bottom with a soft toothbrush and rinse several times in hot water. For extra shine, soak your ring in a small bowl of ammonia diluted with three times the amount of water, and gently brush the top and bottom of the mounting with a soft toothbrush. Dip the ring into the solution again, then rinse in warm water several times to be sure to get all of the solution off. You may set the ring on a soft towel to dry, or gently pat it dry.
NOTE: IF YOU DO THIS OVER AN OPEN DRAIN, USE A STRAINER!